Does it feel like Groundhog Day every day?! My little boys are growing up so fast and I know in a few years I will look back on the year 2020 and think wow I am glad I had so much extra time with them (gratitude is getting me through this week friends!).
Every Friday night this summer, we make our favorite pizza–Shrimp Pesto Pizza (yes, it deserves all caps!). It was a creation we made about 5 years ago when we had a freezer full of shrimp and a basil plant that was going crazy. Originally, we made a shrimp pesto pasta, but in our family we love pizza so voila came our pizza creation!
Recipe for Shrimp Pesto Pizza:
- Pizza Crust (we buy pre-made from Trader Joe’s, plain white dough is our favorite)
- 1 lb cooked shrimp (we sautée shrimp with Old Bay and garlic)
- Pesto (homemade is our favorite: basil, pine nuts, olive oil, salt, pepper and parm)
- Sliced Tomato or Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cheese (we get a canister of mixed hard cheeses from Trader Joe’s)
- Roll out the pizza dough, spread olive oil on one side of the pizza crust, put in oven or on grill (we use a pizza stone on the grill) for 5-10 minutes.
- Flip the crust over and spread pesto over crust followed by cheese and other toppings.
- Bake or grill for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy 🙂
Saturday morning, Drew and I took turns working out. I went on a slow 6 mile run by the Chattahootche River. You could see the fog over the river which made my run even more relaxing and therapeutic (they say running is cheaper than therapy!). When I got home, the boys were all riding their scooters–one of the cutest scenes ever. Drew went on a 20 mile bike ride before we packed up and headed to our neighborhood pool for an afternoon swim.
After putting the boys to bed on Saturday evening, Drew and I watched a movie for the first time in months! We watched Desperatos on Netflix which was lighthearted and entertaining. While it wasn’t the best movie ever, it was pretty good and I would definitely recommend.
Sunday morning, we got an early start and headed to the lake. It was fun getting to the lake earlier than normal, it is very quiet and almost tranquil on the lake before 10am. We had a fun time riding around and Reid had a blast swimming in the water. He has become quite the little fish and could stay in the water all afternoon :). Both boys took boat naps allowing us to take it very slow on the ride back.
We ended the weekend by riding scooters, playing on the swing set and building puzzles. While it wasn’t an overly exciting weekend, it is exactly how I want to remember summer 2020: lots of pool time, lake time and family time 🙂
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and has a great week ahead!! Stay safe and healthy 🙂