Discovering what exercise is right for you can be trial and error mixed with learning a lot about yourself. It has taken me years to realize that it is alright to change it up and switch out of your routine when you find yourself in a workout rut (or in quarantine).
There are so many different things you can do, but at the end of the day you need to find something that you enjoy (and even if you don’t a hundred percent love it, you like it enough).
We are all so lucky to have bodies that we can move each day and we need to not lose sight of that blessing. I spoke to my 101 year old grandmother who used to walk every single day, literally would walk 3 miles each day into her 90’s! With Covid-19, she has not been allowed to leave her apartment which means that she may never go on those walks again. The old saying “if you don’t use it, you lose it,” unfortunately, for her that probably means forever. It was such a shock of reality talking to her, and highlights we really cannot take moving our bodies for granted.
Last year, I injured my hip and was sidelined for half of the year. My stress relief and favorite hobby is running, and I was unable to do it. I was devastated, but like most things you learn from experiences and it taught me to be kind to my body and to move as much as I can. Moving your body even for 30 minutes a day can greatly improve your mood, sleep and overall quality of life. Basically, I could go on and on about the importance of exercise–but you get the picture, move your body–it may not be as exciting as the latest episode of Tiger King, but I promise you it will make you feel better 🙂
Here are a few things you can try from your own home while stuck in quarantine:
- Beachbody: If you need accountability buddies and want a wide range of workout videos on demand this is the place to go. I personally do not use Beach Body, but my sister and best friend do and they see huge success. The community around Beach Body is great especially if you can use the extra motivation 🙂
- BBG: Bikini Body Guide and Sweat App are awesome 30 minute workouts that include 8 different moves throughout 4 separate circuits (4 moves for 7 minutes, 4 moves for 7 minutes and repeat). Drew and I did a trial and we both love it. It is a HITT workout that leaves both of us sweaty and he always wakes up being sore the next day! I highly recommend this if you are looking for a high intensity workout.
- Barre3: This is my go to, my studio has started to record zoom videos and does live zoom classes to keep us engaged. Barre3 has a subscription program that you can stream videos. Admittedly, I have been slack on doing barre and have seen a change in my body tone—meaning I am getting back on track to 3 times a week STAT 🙂
- YouTube or Amazon workout videos: If you need to switch things up, these platforms have workouts from HITT to yoga to chair work to literally anything. Just search for what interests you and give it a try! (They even have children’s yoga which my boys love!)
- Outside walking or running: Running is my passion and I cannot say enough about how endorphins and sunshine can boost your mood. If running is not your jam, then go for a walk. Moving is what it is all about and as my dad says, “its about the time on your feet.”
- Biking/Peloton: I read that Peloton’s stock is up 55% in the past month and for good reason. I have numerous friends who have purchased bikes or a peloton bike in the past couple months (Drew is currently in the market for a new road bike too!). Biking is so good on the joints and is a hobby you can continue even as you age. As there are less cars driving these days, road biking is less intimidating right now.
There are so many different workouts that you can try and are right at your fingertips. Now is a great time to try something new and switch it up, you may discover a new passion! If you are new to working out, start slow and build up–but I promise you, the trick is to just MOVE 🙂
Stay healthy and safe, friends!